You are here

Asking for Child Support

Produced by Attorney Jeff Wolf for MassLegalHelp
Created April 2013

Children have the right to financial support from both parents. 

It does not matter if the parents are married to each other.

The same rules about child support apply to parents who are married, parents who are not married, and parents who never lived together.

If the other parent is not supporting your children, you can go to court to get a child support order.

When the court makes a child support order, it orders the other parent's employer to take the child support out of his or her pay.  The employer must send this money to the Department of Revenue Child Support Enforcement Division (DOR/CSE). When the DOR/CSE gets the child support, they send the money on to you. 

Paying child support like this is called "income assignment" or "wage assignment".


If you are on welfare, DOR/CSE sends you the first $50 of the child support. The rest goes to pay back the state for some of the welfare your child gets.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm