You are here

Utilities in Private Housing

If you are having a problem with your utility company, you need to arm yourself with the right information. In many situations, you will be able to resolve the problem yourself.

In other situations, you may be able to get help from the Department of Public Utilities (DPU), the state agency responsible for regulating utility companies.

This chapter will focus primarily on your rights in dealing with the electric, gas, and water companies. Also included is some limited information about dealing with wireline telephone companies, which are regulated by the state Department of Telecommunications and Cable.  Note that wireless phone companies’ prices or practices are generally not regulated.

For further in-depth information about the rights of utility consumers in Massachusetts and practical advice on how to address problems, see National Consumer Law Center’s “Utilities Advocacy for Low-Income Households in Massachusetts” (3rd Ed.).

Produced by Charlie Harak
Created January 2014

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program.

Download the Chapter or the eBook

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm