How do I apply for Deferred Action (DACA)?

You can apply to get Deferred Action by following these steps:

  1. Collect all the documents you can that prove you qualify for Deferred Action. See What Documents Do I Need to Get Deferred Action (DACA)?
  2. Complete forms:
    1. I-821D (Deferred Action),
    2. G-1145 (e-notification,
    3. I-765 (Employment Authorization), and
    4. I-765 worksheet (Employment Authorization worksheet).
  3. Attach all of the documents you collected to prove you qualify for Deferred Action to the I-821D form.
  4. Get a payment together of $465.
    1. If you cannot pay the fee, you may be able to get a “fee waiver”, but USCIS says they will only give fee waivers in “exceptional circumstances”. To find out about fee waivers, see the USCIS FAQs. Scroll down to “Can I obtain a fee waiver or fee exemption for this process?’
  5. Mail all of the forms, documents, and money payment to your local lockbox. To find your local lockbox address, visit USCIS' page Direct Filing Addresses.
    1. Once you apply, you will begin to get notices from USCIS. The notices will tell you that USCIS received your application.
  6. Schedule to get a background check. Some time after you apply, USCIS will send you a letter asking you to schedule a background check. If you do not get this background check, you will not get Deferred Action.
  7. Go online to check the status of your application.
    USCIS has more information about how to apply on its website.


If USCIS denies your application, you cannot apply again.

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm

Get Legal Help Block

Before you talk to USCIS always speak with an Immigration Specialist.