Who is required to register for work?

Any member of your family who is age 16 to age 60 and not exempt must register for work as part of the SNAP application process and accept any suitable job offers. 106 C.M.R. § 362.310.

Your SNAP application is also an agreement to register for work—you do not have to take any additional steps to register. If offered a job, you must accept it unless you have good cause. You can also volunteer for additional services. This is called the SNAP Employment & Training (SNAP/ET) Program.

DTA is building SNAP ET programs and services with employment and training providers around the state called “SNAP Path to Work.” Both providers and SNAP recipients can access information on available programs on DTA’s web page here.

SNAP work registration is different from the three-month time limit that affects ABAWDs. See What is the “ABAWD” 3-month time limit for childless adults age 18 to 50? The SNAP regulations provide for a wide range of exemptions from work registration. 106 C.M.R. § 362.310(B). These exemptions are most important if DTA thinks you voluntarily quit a job within 60 days or if you are on strike. See questions
What are the rules if I recently quit a job or I am on strike? and What is considered “good cause” if you recently quit a job?

DTA Policy Guidance:

  • DTA moves to voluntary SNAP Employment and Training program, effective August 30, 2015. Clients should not be issued Job Search declaration form and should not be sanctioned for failure to do job search. Ops Bulletin 2015-9
Produced by Patricia Baker and Victoria Negus
Last Updated January 2017

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm

Site Search: