What if I do not receive an EBT card or my card is lost or stolen?

To report a lost or stolen EBT card, call EBT Customer Service at 1-800-997-2555. DTA will replace your card, but DTA will not replace any SNAP benefits that are stolen from your account. 106 C.M.R. § 364.900 (D). Once you report a lost or stolen card you can get a new PIN (Personal Identification Number) so benefits cannot be stolen from your account.

You can wait for a card in the mail, or you can go directly to your local DTA office to pick up a new card. Any DTA office can issue you a replacement EBT card.  Your old card will become deactivated and the value of your SNAP benefits will be transferred to the new EBT card.

$5 EBT replacement fee with exceptions:

If you receive cash or SNAP benefits and you lose your EBT card, DTA may also charge $5.00 for replacement of a replacement EBT card. You do not pay this in cash but DTA will deduct the $5.00 from your cash or SNAP benefits in your EBT account.  This policy started in April of 2013.

DTA should not charge the $5 fee if you need a replacement EBT card if:

  • the EBT card was lost in the mail and you never transacted the EBT card that was sent to you,
  • the EBT card did not work correctly,
  • you are a victim of domestic violence,
  • your SNAP/cash case was closed for more than 30 days and you reapplied, and
  •  other good cause exceptions.

Multiple EBT replacement policy:

Under DTA procedures, SNAP and cash (TAFDC or EAEDC) recipients that have received more than four replacement EBT cards within twelve months are now required to speak with a DTA worker to talk about the reasons for multiple requests and how the EBT card works.

No request for a replacement EBT card can be denied if the person is otherwise eligible. Some EBT recipients may be confused about the card and how it works due to a disability, or an abusive partner or third party is taking the EBT card. If you are in this situation, contact a legal advocate.

DTA Policy Guidance:

Online Guide Sections:  Cross Programs > EBT > EBT Card Fees, Replacements and Notices

Produced by Patricia Baker and Victoria Negus
Last Updated January 2016

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm