You are here

The person who abused me reported me to the Department of Children and Families

Produced by an AmeriCorps Project of Western Massachusetts Legal Services updated and revised Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed May 2010

The person who abused me reported me to the Department of Children and Families. What can I do?

Sometimes abusive people call the Department of Children and Families (DCF) to get back at their victims for leaving or getting a 209A protective order against them. Sometimes they try to control their victims by threatening to call DCF.  Sometimes they do call DCF.

The person who abused you may call DCF and lie about you. He may say that you are abusing or neglecting your child or that you are an alcoholic or drug addict. DCF will investigate and find out what is true and what isn’t. But DCF may also learn about the domestic violence when they investigate. DCF may decide your child is in danger from the domestic violence.

When DCF investigates, try to be as calm and organized as possible. Try to have a friend or advocate with you when the DCF worker comes to talk to you. Ask to speak to a DCF Domestic Violence Specialist (you can contact the DCF Domestic Violence Unit at 617-748-2000). Explain to the worker and the DCF Domestic Violence Specialist that the abusive person called DCF to get back at you for leaving him or getting a 209A protective order. Tell the worker and the Domestic Violence Specialist what you have done to protect your child from the domestic violence.

DCF needs to see that you are protecting your child from domestic violence. DCF might want you to go to counseling or get other services.

It is best to cooperate with DCF in these situations. DCF will also want to talk to the abusive person about your child, especially if he is the child's other parent. Let him be the one who does not cooperate when DCF wants to visit his home, make an appointment, or give him a service plan. Try to be the parent that DCF can trust, by doing what your worker asks you to do as best you can. Let the abusive person be the person that DCF does not trust.

The abusive person lied to Department of Children and Families about me and then filed for custody in Probate and Family Court. What can I do?

Sometimes abusive people make false reports to the Department of Children and Families (DCF) so they can get custody.  When they go to the Probate and Family Court to get custody they make those reports all over again.

Tell the judge that his report is not true. Tell the judge about the abuse. Explain that the report to DCF is a way to abuse you more. Show the judge that DCF decided that you do not neglect or abuse your child.  If DCF did not support a 51A report against you, or if DCF has not filed a Care and Protection case to try to take your child, tell the judge.

It is usually best to cooperate with DCF so your worker can see that the abusive person's report is not true. DCF can tell the judge that the report was false. DCF may also tell the judge that your child should stay with you because the other parent is so abusive. DCF does not like to be in the middle of custody battles. But the judge may ask for the worker's opinion about what is best for your child.

If your abuser takes you to Probate and Family Court to get custody, it is very important to have a lawyer. Find your local legal services program.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm