You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Move out of state with my child?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute & Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts
Reviewed June 2023

If you are moving out of state and you plan to leave your child behind, you do not need to get permission from anyone. But if you plan to take your child with you, most of the time you need to get permission from:

  • your child's other parent, or
  • the Massachusetts Probate and Family Court.

Moving to another state or country with your child is a "removal."  Even if you stay in Massachusetts but you move so far away that it changes your child’s parenting time with the other parent, you need to get permission from the other parent or the court. See, What if I just want to move to another part of Massachusetts?


If you already have court orders from a Massachusetts court, like a child support order, you need to take steps so the new state can enforce these orders. ­­­­­­­­­

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm