You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


If the other parent filed a case

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute & Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts
Reviewed June 2023

If the other parent filed a complaint, ask the court to give you permission to leave the state with your child in your Answer to the complaint.

File a "counterclaim" in your answer. The counterclaim is like a complaint of your own. Your counterclaim can ask the court for permission to move out of state with your child.


Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm