Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


How do I bring documents to present to the judge?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute & MetroWest Legal Services
Reviewed June 2023

It is best to attach any documents that help your case to your motion or complaint before your day in court.  If you have other documents that you did not attach to your motion that you want the Judge to see,

  • Make a copy for the other party.
  • Bring them to court on your hearing date.
  • Ask the Judge to consider them.

You may want to bring:

  • Information about housing possibilities (e.g., your lease or a deed to a home, listings from local housing authorities or local real estate and rental agencies.)
  • A copy of your job offer, or notice of employment transfer.
  • Acceptance letter for a school.
  • Documentation from the school that your child will attend if you move.

If you think some documents may help you but you do not have them, serve a subpoena to have other people bring the records. 

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm