Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


How do I prove my case so I can move with my child?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute & Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts, LLC
Reviewed June 2023

You show the Judge:

You prove these to the judge with:

  • Affidavits. Write an affidavit that explains your side of the story when you file your motion, complaint or petition with the court. See a sample affidavit or use a blank affidavit.
  • Proof, like affidavits from therapists, the school and community leaders
  • Witnesses,
  • and sometimes with a Guardian Ad Litem.

What is a Guardian Ad Litem?

You can ask the court to appoint a Guardian Ad Litem (GAL).  A GAL investigates a parent’s request to move out of state with their children.  The GAL interviews the parties and the children.  The GAL reports their findings to the judge. If the GAL agrees you should be able to move, it can help your case.  If you want the court to appoint a GAL in your case ask the judge at the case management conference, or early on in your case.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm