You are here

How much does it cost to file an agreement to change a judgment or temporary order?

Produced by Attorney Jeff Wolf for MassLegalHelp
Reviewed October 2019

The fees are different for each kind of case

There is no filing fee if you ask the court to change a temporary order.

The filing fee is $50 if you ask the court to change a judgment concerning child support, custody, or visitation.

The filing fee is $150 if you ask the court to change a judgment concerning anything not about children. For example, changing a judgment about alimony.

What if I cannot afford the fees?

If both you and the person you are making an agreement with:

(A) are on public assistance,

(B) have an income after taxes of less than 125% of the poverty level, or

(C) paying the fees would make it so that you could not pay for your basic necessities

you can ask the court not to make you pay filing fees.

Use the Affidavit of Indigency form. Each of you must fill out your own form.

If (C) is the reason you cannot afford the fees, you must also file a Supplement to the Affidavit of Indigency.

The court has Instructions for filling out these forms.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Help us improve MassLegalHelp!

Take a short survey to tell us what works and what is missing.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm