Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


How do I serve the defendant if I don’t have their address?

Produced by Attorney Jeffrey L. Wolf for MassLegalHelp
Created March 2015

If you do not have any address for the defendant, and you are asking the court to establish paternity or child support, it might be best to apply to the Department of Revenue Child Support Enforcement Division.

DOR/CSE has parent locator services.

The court usually needs proof that the defendant has been notified about the case before it establishes paternity or child support.

If you cannot serve the defendant in any other kind of case, talk to a lawyer.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm