You are here

Application to Have the Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived

Produced by Attorney Mariah Jennings-Rampsi for MassLegalHelp
Reviewed October 2016

Get the Application to Have the Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived from the US Bankruptcy Court website.

Save the form on your computer.

To waive your bankruptcy fee, You:

  • Cannot afford to pay the fee in installments; and
  • Your income must be below 150% of the federal poverty limits.  Look at the chart below. Find your family size. Then look at the monthly income amount to the right.

Family Size:

Monthly Income Limit:

















For each additional person add:



This form asks about your family.

Your family includes you, your spouse, and any dependents.

Your family may be different from your household.

Your household includes your unmarried partner and others who live with you that you share income and expenses with.

You listed your household on Schedules I and J.

On this fee waiver form, do not include any other adults who live in your home.

If you are not married, the court does not count your partner as family.

Do not include­ a fiancé, your adult children, or roommates as part of your family number. 

If you cannot afford to pay the filing fee in installments and your monthly income is

  • More than the amount listed, you do not not qualify for a waiver.  You can still ask to pay the filing fee spread out over a number of payments.  Fill out "Application to Pay Filing Fee in Installments".
  • less than the amount in the table above, you qualify to ask for a waiver of the filing fee.  Fill out the application and give it to the clerk when you file your case.

In the top box put your name and your spouse’s if you are both filing.

Skip the box that asks for the District.

Put “Mass.” in the box that asks for your state.

The clerk will give you the Case No. when you file your Application to Have the Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived.

The top box of most Bankruptcy forms.

Answer all the questions. Most of the form is easy to fill out. Some parts of the form are not as easy to understand. It is important to understand the question before you answer it. Some of the complicated parts are:

Question 2

Write your " net" or after-taxes income. Look at line 10 of your Schedule I and copy that number.

If you live in subsidized housing and a portion of your rent is paid by the government or a non-profit, include that amount in your income.  Subtract that amount where it tells you to in question 2.

Question 3.

Non-cash government assistance includes WIC, SNAP/Food Stamps, and government programs that pay part of your rent, like Section 8.

Part 2

Questions 7 and 8

Ask about anyone who lives in your household who is not your spouse or dependent, like a live-in boyfriend.

Part 3

Make a copy of your filled in Schedule A/B.  If you attach it to the Application you do not need to fill in Part 3.

Complete Part 4 and sign and date in Part 5.

Filing without a lawyer

  • Bankruptcy is complicated. Filing without a lawyer is risky.
  • You can lose property and money. You can go to jail if you do not tell the truth.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm