You are here

How will I know if a creditor takes me to court, or sues me?

Produced by Mariah Jennings-Rampsi, South Coastal Counties Legal Services, with funding from American College of Bankruptcy
Created June 2012

You will know you are being sued when a sheriff or constable delivers court papers to you or to someone at your home and the papers tell you about a case against you.  This is sometimes called “being served”.  In small claims court cases, you can be served by certified mail.  The papers are called a summons and complaint. See What court papers will I get?

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm

Site Search: