EAEDC during the COVID-19/coronavirus crisis

Produced by Greater Boston Legal Services
Reviewed Oct 2021

Many EAEDC rules are not in effect. The application process is simpler.

What is EAEDC?

EAEDC is a cash benefit for disabled adults, caretakers, and some children who are not able to get TAFDC (welfare).

EAEDC is a state benefit. It is different from SSI, which is a federal benefit. You cannot get both at the same time. You can find basic information about who can get EAEDC on the Department of Transitional Assistance website. See Check EAEDC eligibility and how to apply.


How do I apply for EAEDC during COVID-19?

  1. Apply online at DTAConnect.com
    • The application is very short. After you submit it, DTA will interview you by phone.
    • You can fill out the application in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, and Vietnamese.
    • If you do not already get SNAP, your application counts as a SNAP application also.
    • If you have “Heightened Security” on your DTA case for safety reasons, call DTA’s Ombuds Unit : 617-348-5354.
  2. Call your local DTA office:
    • Find contact information for your local DTA office online. If you try your local office 2 or 3 times and you cannot get through, call DTA’s Ombuds Unit : 617-348-5354.
    • If you apply by phone, DTA will mail you an application after your interview. Sign and mail the application back to them. It is better to apply online, if you can, because it takes more time to apply over the phone and mail your application back.
  3. Visit your local DTA office to apply in person. 

What else do I need to know to apply for EAEDC during COVID-19?

DTA will accept your written statement as proof. For example, you can write a statement to tell them if your income changed. This statement is a “self-declaration.”

DTA will accept your statement that you have a disability. This is a self-declaration. For now, DTA will not require you to get proof from a doctor that you cannot work. 

EBT card:

  • If you do not have an EBT card, DTA will mail one to you. It may take 7-10 days to arrive.
  • If you already have an EBT card when you have your phone interview, tell DTA you already have a card. 
  • If you need an emergency card and the local office tells you you cannot get a card in person, email [email protected]

Are there other changes to the TAFDC program during COVID-19?

Yes. To learn more, visit Masslegalservices.org/DTA-COVID-19

What should I do if I start to get Unemployment while I am getting EAEDC?

Tell DTA about your Unemployment within 10 days of getting your first payment.

DTA will close your EAEDC case. DTA will send you a notice to tell you if your SNAP will continue.

How do I tell DTA about changes and submit documents?

Write to DTA about changes you need to report:

Put your DTA Agency ID or the last 4 digits of your SSN on all pages.

Keep a copy and add a note to yourself about when and how you sent it.

  1. Use the DTA Connect app on a smartphone or tablet. You can see information about your DTA benefits and upload documents.
  2. Create an account on the DTA Connect website. You can see information about your DTA benefits and upload documents.
  3. Fax the information to (617) 887-8765.
  4. Mail the information to:
    DTA Document Processing Center
    PO Box 4406
    Taunton, MA 02780

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Help us improve MassLegalHelp!

Take a short survey to tell us what works and what is missing.

DTA Benefits & COVID-19 Training

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm