You are here

Paying my mortgage

Produced by Greater Boston Legal Services and Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed August, 2021

If you cannot pay your mortgage

Ask your lender for a forbearance plan.  

Get money for your mortgage

You may get up to $10,000 to pay your mortgage from the RAFT or ERMA programs if:

  • You have low income, and
  • You are at risk of homelessness or are homeless.

Apply for RAFT and ERMA funds through Regional Housing Consumer Education Centers.

Taxes and condominium payments

Your town, city, and condominium association can still ask for payments. If you cannot pay, they must send you notices and go to court before they can foreclose on your home. 

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm