Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Emergency Notice

Proving Your Identity After a Disaster

Produced by Massachusetts Justice Project
Created June 13, 2011

I lost my driver's license and other photo ID. How can I prove who I am?

  • Many agencies will accept your word when you apply for disaster relief.
  • Others will help you get the proof you need.
  • You should also take steps to get a replacement driver's license.

How can I get a replacement driver's license or ID card in Massachusetts?

  • You can get a replacement Driver License or State Identification Card by filing an application form.
  • You can pick up a form at any Registry of Motor Vehicles office.  There are local offices in Springfield, Chicopee, Easthampton, Greenfield and Southbridge.  See the DMV's website for more locations and hours  or call 800-858-3926
  • Forms are also online.

How much do I have to pay for my replacement license or ID?

The Registry of Motor Vehicles will replace storm victims’ licenses for free through June 30. 

After June 30, the fee will be $25.00. 

What should I do if I lost my Social Security card?

  • Visit a Social Security office or complete  Form SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card. The online form is available in English and Spanish.
  • Social Security will want evidence of your identity.
  • If you were born outside of the United States, you must show proof of your U.S. Citizenship or current lawful immigration status.

How can I provide "evidence of identity"?

You can show one of the following:

  • U.S. driver's license
  • U.S. State-issued non-driver identity card; or
  • U.S. Passport

If you do not have one of these documents and cannot get a replacement within 10 work days, Social Security may accept other documents that show your legal name and information about you, such as:

  • a Military ID card
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Employee identity card
  • Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor or hospital)
  • Health insurance card
  • Medicaid card
  • School identity card or record

For young children, Social Security may accept medical records from a medical provider. Social Security may also accept a final adoption decree, school identity card or other school records.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security must see your current U.S. immigration document(s) and your foreign passport with biographical information or photograph.

How can I locate a Social Security office?

Use Social Security Administration Online Office Locator or call 1-800-772-1213.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm