You can ask for Child Support when you file for a 209A Restraining Order

Produced by Attorney Jeff Wolf for MassLegalHelp
Last Updated February 2017

209A complaint forms include a form to ask for child support.

If you need child support in your 209A case, now there is an official form to use.

The form is called Plaintiff's Affidavit in Support of Request for a Child Support Order.  See a sample.

  1. Check box 7 on Page 1 of the Complaint and 
  2. the box in Section F of Page 2 of the Complaint.

The judge will check box 13 on the new 209A Order form. See a sample 209A Order. If this box is checked, the defendant will see that:

  1. the court will decide about child support at the next hearing and
  2. he must bring financial information to court.

If you need child support

Section 6:05B of the  2011 Guidelines , page 128 says that

A judge should not send you to the Probate and Family Court or the Department of Revenue for child support if you can get it in your 209A case. 

If there is already a child support order

Section 6:05B of the  2011 Guidelines, page 128 says that

The judge should tell you to go back to the Probate and Family court that made the order. 

More information

How to Ask for a Child Support Order in a 209A Restraining Order Case

Who to call for help

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm