You are here

Other forms plaintiffs in 209A restraining order cases may need

You can use the court forms on this page if you already have a restraining order and you need to do any of the following:

  • Complaint for Protection from Abuse (G.L. c. 209A) Page 1 of 2.
    This is the main form you file to get a restraining order. It is 4 pages.
    Page 1 is the Complaint – Court Copy. It has checkboxes and spaces for you to fill in with names and basic information about you, your relationship to the defendant, and what you are asking the court to order.
    Page 2 is the Complaint – Probation Copy.
    Page 3 is the AFFIDAVIT. On the AFFIDAVIT, tell the judge what happened and why you need a 209A order. Write down exactly what happened. Do not just say, "He threatens me." Instead, write down the things he said or did: "He told me he would get his gun and shoot me." Start with the most recent incident. Explain why you need a restraining order. Tell the judge why you are afraid. Include information about injuries, if children were present or hurt, police involvement, medical treatment, other help you got, or destruction of property.
    When you sign the AFFIDAVIT, you swear that what you said in the AFFIDAVIT and the Complaint is true to the best of your knowledge.
    If you get the form from the court the AFFIDAVIT is on the back of page 1.

    Page 4 is Instructions to the Plaintiff You are the "plaintiff." This form tells you how to fill out the other forms.

  • Complaint for Protection from Abuse (G.L. c. 209A) Page 2 of 2
    This form asks if your children are involved in any family court cases. You also use this form to ask for orders about custody, contact with your children, visitation, or child support.
  • Plaintiff Confidential Information Form
    On this form you write your name, home address, home telephone number, workplace name, address, telephone number, and school. This information is confidential. The defendant, the defendant’s attorney, and the public are not allowed to see it. Only certain authorized persons who ask for this information can see it. But first they must file a Request for Access to Confidential Information form.
  • Defendant Information Form
    The court gives this information to the police so they can find the defendant to deliver the order. Include any information that will help the police find the defendant.
  • Affidavit Disclosing Care or Custody Proceeding Involving a Child
    This form asks about other family court cases that involve your child.

Other forms you may also need

Who to call for help

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm