Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


Is there a statewide system that keeps track of restraining orders?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed April 2021

The "Statewide Domestic Violence Record Keeping System" has records of new and old restraining orders and civil and criminal records involving domestic or other violence from all over Massachusetts.

The State has 2 systems that track domestic violence orders and crimes.

The Statewide Domestic Violence Record Keeping System has records of new and old restraining orders.

These orders include:

  • Abuse prevention orders (209A), and
  • Harassment prevention orders (258E).

The state also has a computerized system that has all criminal records. These records include violations of restraining orders and other domestic violence crimes. This is the court criminal record keeping system. See CORI.

How does the statewide system help keep me safe?

When the court issues a restraining order, the Probation Department records the order in the Domestic Violence Record Keeping System on the same day.

Every time someone asks the court for a restraining order, the Probation Department checks both the Domestic Violence Record Keeping System and the court criminal record system.

The Probation Department tells the judge if the abusive person has had other orders against them and if they have a criminal record.

The Probation Department also tells the judge if there is a warrant against the abusive person.  A warrant means the police are looking for this person and have reason to arrest.

When you ask for your restraining order, you will probably give the court information about where the police can find the abusive person. If there is a warrant, the judge will order the Probation Department to notify the police and give them  any information about the abusive person's most recent whereabouts.

If the judge thinks that you or anyone else is in danger, the judge will tell the police to act on the warrant right away.

Who to call for help

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm