You are here

Supervised Visitation

"Domestic violence" refers to many kinds of abuse committed by a member of a family, a household, or an intimate partner against another member of the family, household, or against the intimate partner. "Domestic Violence" also refers to many forms of abuse committed by one person against another in certain dating relationships or engagements.

You can seek a court order to protect you if your abuser

  • harms you physically,
  • tries to harm you physically,
  • makes you afraid that serious physical harm is going to happen to you, or
  • threatens, pressures or forces you to have sex.

This court order is to protect you from further harm. It is called an "abuse prevention order," a "restraining order," or a "209A."

"Domestic violence" is sometimes called "battering," and it also refers to abusive patterns of power and control in family, household, and intimate partner relationships.

Know Your Rights: Domestic Violence, published by the American Bar Association, says that "Domestic violence is a pattern of many behaviors directed at achieving and maintaining power and control over an intimate partner, such as physical violence, emotional abuse, isolation of the victim, economic abuse, intimidation, and coercion and threats."

Learn more about custody and domestic violence in the Domestic Violence section.

Learn more about Can the Other Parent Take Our Child? in the Domestic Violence section.

Learn about What if the Other Parent Tries to Control my Parenting? in the Domestic Violence section.

Produced by Jeff Wolf
Reviewed May 5, 2006

In cases involving domestic violence, the Probate & Family Court can order that visitation be supervised. Sometimes courts order that the supervised visitation take place at a supervised visitation center. Sometimes courts order that visitation be supervised by a person who does not work at a supervised visitation center.

How to Request an Order for Supervised Visitation - Instructions has information about how to request an order for visitation at a supervised visitation center and how to request an order for visitation supervised by an individual.

Produced by Americorps members of the Massachusetts Service Alliance
Created March 2010

Who to call for help

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm