You are here

Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


What if I get paid less than minimum wage?

Produced by Julius Halstead, Greater Boston Legal Services
Reviewed February 2019

If you get paid less than minimum wage, or your employer is breaking other wage/hour laws, you can file a complaint. The agencies that enforce minimum wage laws can help you get the wages you earned. 

In 2018, the Massachusetts Legislature established new minimum wage amounts for both tipped and non-tipped employees that will provide for incremental yearly increases in wages. Those specific amounts are as follows:

Tipped Employees

  • January 1, 2019 - $12.00
  • January 1, 2020 - $12.75
  • January 1, 2021 - $13.50
  • January 1, 2022 - $14.25
  • January 1, 2023 - $15.00

Non-Tipped Employees

  • January 1, 2019 - $4.35
  • January 1, 2020 - $4.95
  • January 1, 2021 -  $5.55
  • January 1, 2022 - $6.15
  • January 1, 2023 - $6.75

If you work in Massachusetts, you can contact the Fair Labor Division of the Office of the Massachusetts Attorney General. Call (617) 727-3465.

If you are a state or local government worker, you can contact the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor. Call 1-866-487-9243.

Download the Complaint Form from the Attorney General's website.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

More Information

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm