How can I pay for my training?

Produced by Greater Boston Legal Services
Created October 2010

If you cannot afford to pay for your training, you can apply for government funding:

You may be able to get Individual Training Account funding. Apply at a local One-Stop Career Center.  There are 37 One-Stop Career Centers across Massachusetts.  When you apply, the Career Center will look at your income, training you already have had, and where you live.  The Career Center must approve your training course.  They have a list of programs they approve.  Even if you are employed, you may still be able to get an Individual Training Account to pay for training.

You may also be able to get a federal Pell Grant. Pell grants can pay for up to $5,350 for education or training at most universities, community colleges, and many vocational schools. See  To apply for a Pell Grant, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.  You can get a paper copy of the application from the Federal Student Aid Information Center by calling 1-800 4-Fed-Aid (433-3243).  Your school or training program will have a deadline for applying for financial aid. Check the FAFSA deadline for your school or training provider.

Do not confuse applying for extra weeks of UI benefits with applying for funding to pay for your training. You may be submitting 2 applications.

  1. One application is for a training program that will give you extra weeks of UI benefits
  2. The other application is to pay for your training.