Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


Can I get any help with my foreclosure?

Reviewed January 2022

You can get help if you are facing foreclosure. You are not alone.

The Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) provides financial assistance to help homeowners who are behind on their mortgage payments due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Your mortgage servicer must stop foreclosure proceedings if:

Look for your servicer in the "mortgage servicers who have signed the agreement" section of the HAF page. Because they are still adding new servicers, you may want to apply even if you do not see your servicer on the list.

Apply at the Homeowner Assistance Fund

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program.

legal aid icon courtesy of graphicadvocacy.org

If you do not qualify for legal aid, try a lawyer referral service like the Massachusetts Bar Association Referral Hotline at (866) 627-7577 or if your income is low enough, you may qualify for their reduced fee referral..

If you are a homeowner facing foreclosure:

  • A HUD counselor can help you create a budget, discuss your options with you may be able to help you get a loan modification.
  • Call your bank and ask about your options.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Help for Small Landlords

Contact the Volunteer Lawyers Project's Landlord Advocacy Program:

If you are a landlord living in a 2-3 family home and have a low income, you may qualify to get free legal advice and help applying for rental, mortgage, and utilities assistance.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm