Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Agreement Forms

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute with assistance from legal services offices in Massachusetts
Created May 2017

What is the difference between a stipulation and an agreement for judgment?

You can use different kinds of forms to record an agreement with your landlord. Courts and landlords often use agreement for judgment forms. You are not required to use these forms. You can use a stipulation form instead.

There is a big difference between an agreement for judgment and a stipulation.

Agreement for judgment

If you do everything you agreed to in an agreement for judgment, there is a court judgment against you. A judgment can go on your credit report and hurt your chances of finding new housing later. If you do not follow an agreement for judgment your landlord can get a court order immediately to move you out.


If you do everything you agreed to in a stipulation the court should dismiss your case. You will not have a judgment entered against you. If you use the stipulation forms in this booklet and you do everything you agreed to do in the stipulation, your eviction is dismissed and you will have no judgment against you. If you do not follow a stipulation, your landlord must take you back to court.

Stipulation to Continue
Use this form to reschedule your case and give yourself time to resolve the issues.​

Stipulation to Reinstate Tenancy
Use this form to keep your home, if possible. This form allows you to stay in your home if you do the things you agree to do in the stipulation. ​

Stipulation to Vacate
Use this form if you are prepared to move. You can use it to negotiate a realistic amount of time to move, a reference for your next apartment search, and money to help you move.​

Motion to Amend Agreement
 Use this form if you need to change your agreement. If you cannot do everything you agreed to in your agreement and your landlord does not agree in writing to change it, use this form to ask a judge for permission to “amend” the agreement.​

More sample forms

See more self-help eviction forms.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Get Negotiating a Settlement (Booklet 10)

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm