You are here

Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


Transfer your case to Housing Court

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, with assistance from legal services offices in Massachusetts
Reviewed January 2022

The Summons and Complaint tells you the court that is hearing your case.

If your case is in District Court or the BMC, you can transfer your case to the Housing Court.  Housing Courts have more resources to help tenants.

If you transfer your case to Housing Court, file your Answer in the District Court or BMC where the case was filed. Use Booklet 5: Transfer.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm