In Massachusetts, many cities have “bank tenant associations” (BTAs). BTAs help tenants living in foreclosed buildings and homeowners facing foreclosure. BTAs:
- Hold meetings where you can learn more about your rights.
- Hold meetings where you can find out how to protect yourself against banks or investors who do not follow the law.
- Organize protests and rallies to protect members who are in trouble. You do not have to participate to get their help.
- Sometimes bring lawyers to meetings to give you legal advice.
- May offer to send someone to negotiate with your owner to help you get repairs made or make your rent more affordable.
To find a BTA near you, call City Life: