You are here

Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


Grounds for Filing a Criminal Complaint

Produced by Gary Allen
Reviewed May 2017

Call the police if your landlord breaks into your apartment without your consent, assaults you, or commits any other serious offense. This violates criminal laws.  Ask the police to seek a criminal complaint against your landlord. When the police request that a criminal complaint be issued, they are almost always successful. For more information about criminal cases, see Using the Court System - Criminal Cases.

Unfortunately, judges rarely enforce criminal laws against landlords. The prospect of facing a criminal complaint, however, may prevent some landlords from committing criminal acts.

Call the police if your landlord:

1. Violates the State Sanitary Code

It is a criminal act for a landlord to willfully allow violations of the state Sanitary Code.89 If the landlord has not made the necessary repairs within the time period designated by a local health inspector, the Board of Health can file a criminal complaint.

As a tenant, you also have a right to file a criminal complaint.90 This can be difficult in many courts other than a housing court, but, with persistence, you should be able to do this. See Chapter 8: Getting Repairs Made, in the section called Go to Court.

2. Enters Your Apartment Illegally

If the owner enters your apartment without your permission, she is guilty of trespass. Conviction on a trespass charge is punishable by up to 30 days in jail and $100.91 For more information, see Chapter 8: Getting Repairs Made -Landlord's Right to Enter Your Home.

3. Cuts Off Services

It is a criminal act for a landlord to willfully or intentionally interfere with your "quiet enjoyment" of the premises. It is also a criminal act for a landlord to willfully or intentionally fail to furnish water, hot water, heat, light, power, gas, elevator service, telephone service, janitor service, or refrigeration service where the landlord is required by the terms of your tenancy agreement to provide these services.92 The penalty provisions of the law are a fine of $25 to $300, or up to 6 months in jail.

4. Fails to Provide Locks

A landlord is required to provide adequate locks for your individual apartment, as well as locks at the building entrances if you live in a building with more than 3 apartments.93 Willful failure to provide locks can result in your landlord's being fined up to $500.


89 . G.L. c. 111, §31 provides that the penalty for a violation of the state Sanitary Code is a fine of up to $1,000.

90 . Commonwealth v. Haddad, 364 Mass. 795, 798 (1974). The rationale behind this decision may be applicable to other crimes discussed in this section. The court noted: "In general, anyone may make a criminal complaint in a District Court who is competent to make oath to it. General statutes imposing a duty to prosecute on particular public officials are read as directory only, and do not exclude the right of any other citizen to enter complaints for a violation of the law."

91 . G.L. c. 266, §120.

92 . G.L. c. 186, §14.

93 . G.L. c. 143, §3R see also 105 CMR 410.480(C).

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm