Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Emergency Notice

Should DTA help me if I am having a hard time getting proofs?

Produced by Patricia Baker and Victoria Negus
Reviewed January 2018

Yes! DTA workers are required to help you get proofs if you tell DTA you are having difficulty. 106 C.M.R. § 361.650. This can include making a “collateral contact” (calling a third party to confirm information). 106 C.M.R. § 361.640(B). Examples of DTA worker assistance include:

  • DTA contacting an employer for missing wage information
  • DTA contacting another state to confirm the date your out-of-state SNAP case closed.

DTA should also provide you with additional accommodations if you have a disability that makes it hard for you to get proofs or comply with other DTA rules. See How do I ask DTA for an accommodation?.

If you need help with a collateral contact, it is up to you to give DTA the names of people to contact and written permission to contact. But DTA cannot require you to agree to a third party contact if you can verify the information in a different way. Your privacy is important and must be respected. 106 C.M.R. § 360.400.

You cannot be denied SNAP just because you are having trouble getting proofs. DTA has to accept the best evidence available. But you can be denied if you refuse to cooperate with getting the proofs, refuse to be interviewed, or if you do not meet the other eligibility rules. 106 C.M.R. §§ 361.400 and 361.650.

DTA Policy Guidance:

DTA Online Guide: Cross Programs > Verifications > Verifications Overview > Providing Assistance to Clients in Obtaining SNAP Verifications

Show DTA Policy Guidance

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm