You are here

How do I give someone permission to talk with DTA about my case?

Produced by Patricia Baker and Victoria Negus
Reviewed January 2018

You have the right to give permission to anyone you choose to find out what’s going on with your SNAP case or help you get your SNAP case fixed. This may be a social service agency, food pantry, legal services, a trusted family member or friend. This is different from appointing an “authorized representative,” a person or organization with a more active role in your SNAP case. See Can someone else apply for me?

Before anyone can talk with DTA about your case, you need to send DTA a written and signed statement that allows DTA to share information about your SNAP case to the person or organization helping you. 106 C.M.R. §360.300. You can also call the DTA Assistance Line and give your oral consent.  

There is no requirement that a specific or “correct form” must be used. Ask to speak with a Supervisor if a DTA worker insists on a specific form.

Appendix C has a sample Client Consent Allowing DTA to Release Information to a Helping Agency. You can also send a handwritten note (signed and dated) with the same information – and quickly upload this document through DTA Connect. See How do I learn about my case online or with my smartphone?

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm