Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


Can I claim the medical expenses I used for my public or subsidized housing rent?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed March 2023


Yes! DTA will accept the “rent calculation worksheet” that your local housing authority or housing agency used to determine your SNAP medical expenses. That’s because you already verified these expenses for housing, and the rules for counting medical expenses to lower your rent are similar to SNAP.  

You have a right to ask your local housing agency for a copy of your “rent calculation worksheet” or other statement that confirms the amount of medical expenses you verified for your public or subsidized housing rent.  

For more information on how to claim medical expenses to lower your rent, and use the same information to boost your SNAP, see the following: How to Lower Your Rent and Boost Your SNAP Benefits: An Advocacy Tool Kit for Mass Tenants (MLRI, October 2018)


Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm