Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Emergency Notice

How soon should DTA increase my benefits if I report loss of income or a new household member?

Produced by Patricia Baker and Victoria Negus
Reviewed January 2018

DTA must increase your benefits by the month following the month you report and verify the change to them. 106 C.M.R. § 366.120(B).

You will need to give DTA proofs of your new income, higher medical expenses or child support paid out, information on the new member (a spouse, new baby, etc.). If your shelter costs change, you do not need to verify that information unless DTA determines it is questionable.

You may be eligible for supplemental SNAP benefits in addition to increasing your ongoing benefit amount in the future. If your net countable income after deductions drops to $0, you are eligible for a supplemental payment of SNAP for the same month you report the change. 106 C.M.R. § 366.120(A)(1).

If you report a new household member or a change in income of $50 or more, DTA must adjust your SNAP benefits effective with the first payment you are due ten days after you reported the change. If you report the change after the 20th of the month and it is too late in that month to increase the next month’s payment, DTA must authorize supplemental SNAP so that you get the increase by the tenth day of the following month or on your normal issuance date, whichever is later. 106 C.M.R. § 366.120(A)(2).

If your TAFDC stops, see If my TAFDC case closes, do my SNAP benefits continue?

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm