How do I know if I have an overpayment?

We are in the process of updating the SNAP Advocacy Guide, so some of the information is no longer current.  In the meantime, you can read or download a pdf of the 2022 guide from

Produced by Patricia Baker and Victoria Negus, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed January 2020

DTA will send you a Notice of Overpayment. The Notice will include a Repayment Agreement. You do not have to sign the Repayment Agreement. Talk with an advocate before you agree to sign this. You also have a right to appeal the Notice of Overpayment within 90 days. See How quickly will DTA increase my SNAP if my income decreases or my expenses increase?

DTA is supposed to establish the claim (send you a Notice of Overpayment) no later than 180 days from when DTA discovered there was an overpayment. See DTA’s Claims Plan with the USDA Food and Nutrition Service. Contact MLRI for a copy of DTA’s most recent SNAP Claims Plan.

If you think DTA made a mistake in charging you with an overpayment or the amount, you can file an appeal. See How do I file an appeal to get a fair hearing?

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Help us improve MassLegalHelp!

Take a short survey to tell us what works and what is missing.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm