How can I get more information from DTA about my overpayment?

We are in the process of updating the SNAP Advocacy Guide, so some of the information is no longer current.  In the meantime, you can read or download a pdf of the 2022 guide from

Produced by Patricia Baker and Victoria Negus, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed January 2020

You have the right at any time to call DTA and ask for more information about your overpayment. Call the Overpayment and Recoveries Unit at: 1-800-462-2607.
This is especially important if you are filing an appeal and do not agree with the overpayment or the overpayment amount. You can ask for the packet of information related to your overpayment. DTA should give you information including:

  • The overpayment referral (when was the overpayment discovered, what type of overpayment is DTA pursuing, etc),
  • Notes about the SNAP overpayment and relevant DTA notices,
  • Any evidence or proof they got from other parties or agencies,
  • Proof that the overpaid SNAP benefits were used, and
  • How they calculated the SNAP overpayment - including a monthly breakdown.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Help us improve MassLegalHelp!

Take a short survey to tell us what works and what is missing.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm