Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Getting TAFDC after hitting the time limit

Produced by MLRI
Reviewed August 2023


If your family is or was on TAFDC (welfare) and you have hit your 24 month time limit, you may still be able to get benefits.

You may be able to get an "exemption," which means the time limit stops applying to you.

The time limit should not apply to your family if you can not work for one of the following reasons:

  • You have a physical or mental health problem
  • You are caring for a family member with a health problem
  • You are in your third trimester of pregnancy
  • You have a child under 2
  • You are 60 or older
  • You are a relative (not parent) of the child and chose not to be included in the TAFDC grant
  • You cannot get TAFDC for yourself and cannot work because of your immigration status
  • You are a teen parent and are going to school

If any of these apply to you, tell your worker that you need to apply for an "exemption." You can apply for an exemption at any time.

You may be able to get a "domestic violence waiver," which means that the time limit stops for a while.

If you are not able to work because of domestic violence that is happening now or happened in the past, you can apply for a "domestic violence waiver." 

You can apply for a domestic violence waiver of the time limit at any time, but DTA may deny the waiver if you apply before your 22nd month. If you want to apply before then, call Legal Services for help.

You may be able to get an "extension," which means that your benefits will continue past the time limit.

If your family can not get an "exemption" or "domestic waiver," you should apply for an "extension." If you apply:

  • DTA has to give you a 3-month extension if you are working 35 hours a week but you are still below the income limit for welfare.

DTA has to give you an extension of up to 3 months if you need it to finish an education or training program that was approved by DTA before you reached the time limit. If you need another 3 months after that, you should be able to get it, but you may need help from Legal Aid.

DTA should give you an extension if you are willing to go to a Job Search/Job Readiness program at a Career Center, a Supported Work Program (like CPM), or a program leading to a job with a specific employer. If DTA does not consider you to be "job ready," it may refer you to another activity or program. You will probably have to go to the program for 2 weeks before getting the extension.

You can apply for an extension in or after your 22nd month of benefits. If you have already lost your benefits due to the time limit, you can apply for an extension at any time.

When your extension ends, you can apply for another one.

What if I need an Extension but I can't start job search, or can't continue it, for a good reason?

Tell DTA if you have a good reason for not being able to go, such as a sick family member or an emergency of any kind. See more information about good reasons here. 

  • Request Child Care - If you have a child under age 13 or an older child with a disability, ask your worker for a child care referral. DTA has to pay for child care if you need it to go to a program.
  • Request a different program or different hours - If you are working part-time and you can't go to the program because it is during the same hours as work, ask for a different program or different hours.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Your Local DTA Office
Benefits Trainings

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm