How do I apply?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed Oct 2021

How do I apply?

If you have trouble with English, DTA should give you an interpreter.  If you are hard of hearing, DTA should give you an interpreter.  If you have trouble filling out an application, DTA must help you.

If you cannot get a specific paper that DTA asks for, DTA must help you get it or let you use a different paper. For example, if you do not have your child's birth certificate, DTA must let you prove your child's age and relationship to you with another paper like a baptismal certificate, school record, day care record, newspaper article, hospital record, or a sworn statement from another person who knows you.

Make sure that you get back your original papers or copies, so you can keep a record of everything you give DTA.

For more information on how to apply, visit:

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm