You are here

How do you ask DTA for an accommodation?

The TAFDC Advocacy Guide is out of date!


Many of the rules in the guide do not apply right now. See Help with food and cash during COVID-19.

Produced by Deborah Harris, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed December 2017

DTA is supposed to ask you if you have a disability and need an accommodation. DTA is supposed to ask these questions at application, at reevaluation and any time you are being interviewed or assessed. You can ask for an accommodation at these times, or at any time that you need one.

You can ask your DTA worker for an accommodation, or you can talk to the Client Assistance Coordinator in your DTA office. Each DTA office has a Client Assistance Coordinator who can help with the accommodation process. DTA Online Guide (Client Assistance Coordinator Responsibilities). You or your advocate can also submit a written request for accommodation. It is helpful if the request explains what you need and why.

Once you ask for an accommodation, DTA should work with you to figure out how it can meet your needs. For example, if you ask for something DTA says it cannot do, instead of denying your request, DTA should discuss other options with you. 

DTA may ask for medical proof that you need the accommodation. If you need an accommodation but do not have the medical evidence DTA asks for, you can ask the Client Assistance Coordinator to help you get it.

Advocacy Reminders:

To reach a Client Assistance Coordinator, see Appendix D. You can also get a list of Client Assistance Coordinators at (look under Related Links for Disability Accommodation Contacts-CACs).

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm