You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Can you get TAFDC if the child is not in the home?


DTA made a number of changes and suspended a number of rules during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Guide notes in red when a rule was suspended during the pandemic.

Produced by Deborah Harris and Betsy Gwin, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed December 2022

You can get TAFDC for a child (and yourself) if the child normally lives with you but is temporarily absent. This includes situations where

In general, you cannot get TAFDC for a child who is temporarily absent for more than 120 consecutive days, unless you can show good cause for a longer period. You may be able to show that the absence is temporary because it is for fewer than 120 days. You may have good cause for a longer period if the child is hospitalized or in a residential school but comes home for visits or holidays, or there is a temporary family crisis. DTA recognizes that placement of a child with DCF usually involves a serious family crisis. DTA Online Guide (Child Out of the Home); DTA Transitions, May 2009, p. 10.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Your Local DTA Office

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm