You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Can you get TAFDC just for your children if you are a non-citizen?


DTA made a number of changes and suspended a number of rules during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Guide notes in red when a rule was suspended during the pandemic.

Produced by Deborah Harris and Betsy Gwin, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed December 2022

Yes. You have the right to exclude from the TAFDC application any noncitizen family members who do not want to apply. DTA will give you a form to list family members who do not wish to apply. See DTA Field Operations Memo 2004-34 (Sept. 20, 2004); DTA Online Guide (Noncitizen Introduction).

Advocacy Reminders

  • Non-citizens can also opt out of the SNAP (food stamp) application. But if you have lawful status in the may be eligible for higher benefits if you do not opt out. And even if you opt out of TAFDC and SNAP, your children may be eligible for higher SNAP benefits if you have legal status and show DTA proof of that status. See 106 C.M.R. §§ 362.220, 365.520(B).
  • See What are the work rules for noncitizen parents? on the work rules for noncitizen parents who are not included in the TAFDC assistance unit.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Your Local DTA Office

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm