You are here

What should you do if you need to replace or change your EBT card?

The TAFDC Advocacy Guide is out of date!


Many of the rules in the guide do not apply right now. See Help with food and cash during COVID-19.

Produced by Deborah Harris, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed December 2017

Call EBT customer service, 1-800-997-2555, to report a lost or stolen card.

To get a replacement card, call or go to your local DTA office. DTA will deduct a $5 replacement fee from your next TAFDC semi-monthly grant. If your cash account does not have enough funds to collect the fee, it will be deducted from your SNAP benefits. See DTA Operations Memo 2014-7 (Feb. 6, 2014). You should not be charged a replacement fee if:

DTA should issue your replacement card the day you request it or the following day.

If DTA plans to charge the $5 replacement fee, it will give or send you a form notice that says you will be charged. You can request a refund.

If you request four or more than four replacement cards in a 12-month period, you will have to speak with a DTA worker to get another card. If your worker is not available, you should speak with the worker on duty. See DTA Operations Memos 2014-7 (Feb. 6, 2014); 2013-16 (Apr. 10, 2013).

DTA should issue your replacement card the day you request it or the following day. DTA says it doesn’t have to keep to these time frames for certain clients requesting five or more replacement cards in a 12-month period. If you are subject to these special rules, DTA will say you have to come back to the DTA office to meet with a Fraud Investigator before DTA will give you a replacement card. See DTA Online Guide EBT Card Fees, Replacements and Notices.  This will delay getting you the replacement card, it may not be legal.

Advocacy Reminders:

  • You will not get notice of your right to appeal the $5 fee and you will not get notice of the reasons a fee should not be charged. This lack of notice may not be legal. Consult an advocate if you want to challenge the fee.
  • You may not get notice of denial and notice of appeal rights if a request for refund is denied. This may not be legal. Consult an advocate if your refund request is not granted.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Your Local DTA Office

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm