You are here

What other benefits do TAFDC recipients get?

The TAFDC Advocacy Guide is out of date!


Many of the rules in the guide do not apply right now. See Help with food and cash during COVID-19.

Produced by Deborah Harris, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed December 2017

DTA will pay

  • up to $300 for a newborn infant if you ask for the money before the baby is six months old. You do not need to ask in writing. DTA calls this a “crib and layette” payment. You can use it for anything you need for the baby. 106 C.M.R. § 705.600; DTA Transitions, Aug. 2007, p. 5.
  • a "relocation" benefit up to $1,000 for expenses related to secure permanent housing (by paying for expenses such as advance rent, security deposit, rent or utility arrears, storage, moving costs, or critical household furniture or equipment) for recipients who have been in an emergency shelter, a domestic violence shelter or a temporary housing arrangement provided through the Department of Housing and Community Development for 60 days or more and for some older teens who have been in a teen living program for 60 days or more. 106 C.M.R. § 705.350; DTA Operations Memos 2012-19 (Apr. 25, 2012) and 2011-48 (Nov. 3, 2011) DTA (Relocation Benefit Review); DTA Transitions, May 2008, p. 8, Feb. 2007, p. 4.
  • up to $1,100 for funeral and burial expenses for a TAFDC applicant or recipient, including a child excluded by the family cap, and other people who do not have resources to pay for funeral and burial. Total expenses cannot exceed $3,500. 106 C.M.R. §§ 705.700-705.710; DTA Operations Memo 2012-35 (July 23, 2012 DTA Transitions, Sept. 2012, pp. 5-6.
  • for transportation costs if you want to move out of state if DTA has funding available. 106 C.M.R. §§ 705.800-705.840.

You are also eligible for education and training services and payment for HiSET (high school equivalency) testing under the Employment Services Program and for child care if you are working or in an approved education, training or job search program. You may be eligible for transportation assistance. See questions What is the Employment Services Program (ESP)? and What are your ESP choices?

After your TAFDC case closes you may be eligible for subsidized child care, see Who is eligible for child care?, and for a temporary cash stipend, see Can you get Transitional cash benefits after you leave TAFDC?.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Your Local DTA Office

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm