You are here

What if DTA makes a mistake and owes you money?

The TAFDC Advocacy Guide is out of date!


Many of the rules in the guide do not apply right now. See Help with food and cash during COVID-19.

Produced by Deborah Harris, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed December 2017

DTA has to correct all underpayments. 106 C.M.R. § 706.210. An underpayment is any mistake that makes you get less than you should have gotten. For example, you might be underpaid because

  • your worker did not add a new household member to your grant on time,
  • DTA counted income against your grant that should not have been counted,
  • DTA denied or stopped benefits because of missing proofs even though it had all the proofs it needed, or
  • DTA sanctioned you even though you complied with a rule or had good cause for not complying.

If you are underpaid, you should ask DTA in writing to correct the underpayment. If DTA will not make the correction, you can appeal. See Appeal Rights.

Advocacy Reminder

DTA regulations say that you can only get an underpayment corrected if you are a current recipient or would be a current recipient if the mistake causing the underpayment had not occurred. 106 C.M.R. § 706.210. These limits on underpayment correction may not be legal. Consult an advocate if DTA refuses to correct an underpayment because you are not a current recipient. 

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Your Local DTA Office

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm