You are here

How can you find out what is happening with your case?

The TAFDC Advocacy Guide is out of date!


Many of the rules in the guide do not apply right now. See Help with food and cash during COVID-19.

Produced by Deborah Harris, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed December 2017

Talk to your worker, a supervisor, an Assistant Director or even a Director.

  • You can call your DTA worker to ask about your case. Your worker’s name and phone number should be on any notices you get from DTA. You can get the worker’s name by calling the DTA Assistance Line at 1-877-382-2363.
  • If you cannot reach your worker you can call your worker’s supervisor, an Assistant Director, or even the Director (see Appendix C to get names and telephone numbers).
  • You have a right to a copy of anything that is in your file. 106 C.M.R. § 701.330; DTA Transitions, Nov. 2012, p. 4.

Use your smartphone or tablet -- DTA Connect.

  • DTA Connect is a free mobile app. Download DTA Connect for iPhones and iPads at the App store; download DTA Connect for Androids at Google Play.
  • Log-in to DTA Connect is easy. You only need your Social Security number and year of birth.
  • You can see your case information on DTA Connect if your case is active (open), pending, or is closed but was open in the past 90 days. Domestic violence survivors with Heightened Level of Security, see Can domestic violence survivors and others get extra confidentiality protections?, cannot see case information on DTA Connect.
  • Information you can get using DTA Connect includes
    • case status, monthly benefit amount, next benefit issue date, and EBT card balance,
    • alerts about appointments or deadlines,
    • copies of notices sent in the past 90 days,
    • whether documents you sent in the past 90 days have been processed.
  • You can also use DTA Connect to send information to DTA. See How should you send your proofs?.        .

Get information from your My Account Page (MAP). You can get basic information about your case through the My Account Page (MAP) online if you already have your EBT card and have access to the internet and an e-mail address. See DTA Operations Memo 2012-41 (Sept. 12, 2012).

  • For security reasons you will need to register and provide personal information to access your information online. Go to, click on the My Account Page button, click on Register for Map, and set up your account. Be sure to write down the username the system assigns to you.
  • To log into your MAP you will need to enter your year of birth, Social Security number, and EBT card number. You can change your email address or username.
  • When you log in, you will be able to see a lot of information about your case including
    • the status of your case,
    • the amount of your benefits, a history of the benefits you received in the past year, and the date you will receive your next benefits,
    • contact information for your worker and local DTA office,
    • most notices sent to you in the last year, and
    • a list of the documents DTA has received in your case in the last year and a half and whether DTA processed the document.

How is DTA Connect different from the MAP?

  • DTA Connect is easier to use. For DTA Connect you don’t have to create an account, remember a password, or know your EBT card number. You can use DTA Connect while your case is pending.
  • You can send documents to DTA using DTA Connect.  You can’t do that with MAP.
  • The MAP has more information. It goes back further and gives a history of benefits deposited to your account.

Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. You can get some information about your case by calling the IVR. This is an automated system, not a live person. It is available round the clock, every day of the week. To reach the IVR, call the DTA Assistance Line at 1-877-382-2363. You will need to enter your social security number and year of birth to get information about your case.

The IVR can tell you

  • if DTA has approved or denied your benefits or has not yet made a decision,
  • the amount of benefits you will receive and your next payment date,
  • the date DTA last received a document from you,
  • the location of your local DTA office.

DTA Ombuds Office. If you need more information or you are not satisfied with the information you get, call the DTA Ombuds Office, 617-348-5354. The Ombuds Office was created to help applicants and recipients fix problems they may have with their DTA case. You can also file a complaint with the Ombuds Office.

Advocacy Reminders:

  • Waiting on DTA’s Assistance Line is a problem for people with limited cell phone minutes. Social service agencies can help by offering use of their phones.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Your Local DTA Office

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm