You are here

How much time do you have to ask for a fair hearing?

The TAFDC Advocacy Guide is out of date!


Many of the rules in the guide do not apply right now. See Help with food and cash during COVID-19.

Produced by Deborah Harris, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed December 2017

You usually have 90 days to get your fair hearing request to the Division of Hearings. You have 120 days in worker bad conduct cases and cases where DTA fails to act on a request. 106 C.M.R. § 343.140.

What happens to your benefits while you are waiting for a decision on your appeal? In most situations, if your benefits are being cut off or reduced, you can keep your benefits while you are waiting for a hearing decision by making sure that the Division of Hearings gets your fair hearing request no later than 10 days after it sent notice of the cut-off or reduction, or before the effective date of the action, whichever is later. 106 C.M.R. § 343.250. DTA can recover benefits you got while you were waiting for a hearing if you lose. 106 C.M.R. § 706.260. See What if you are overpaid? - How does DTA collect overpayments if you are not receiving benefits? for limits on recovering overpayments.

Advocacy Reminders:

  • It is almost always a good idea to appeal any denial, termination, or reduction in benefits promptly. The appeal form may ask if you do not want your benefits to continue while you wait for a hearing decision. It is almost always a good idea not to choose this option.
  • Save any notices you get from DTA and the envelopes the notices come in. You may need the postmark on the envelope to show when the notice was sent.
  • SNAP benefits may close automatically if the SNAP benefits are not recertified before the end of the SNAP recertification period. However, even if DTA is closing your SNAP benefits, it must send you at least 10 days’ advance notice of termination or reduction in your TAFDC benefits. See DTA Online Guide (Reevaluations Q and A); DTA Operations Memo 2012-42 (Sept. 21, 2012).

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Your Local DTA Office

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm