You are here

Can you fix problems without going to a hearing?

The TAFDC Advocacy Guide is out of date!


Many of the rules in the guide do not apply right now. See Help with food and cash during COVID-19.

Produced by Deborah Harris, Ruth Bourquin and Patricia Baker Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed December 2017

You can try to fix problems by talking with your worker you can call your worker's supervisor (call the local office, see Appendix C: Department of Transitional Assistance Local Office Contacts, or Recipient Services, 800-445-6604, to get the supervisor's name and telephone number).

You can also ask DTA Recipient Services to explain the reasons for DTA action and to fix DTA mistakes. 800-445-6604.

When the issue is missing verification and the verification has been provided, DTA is required to take action to adjust the benefits. 106 C.M.R. §§ 702.240, 343.350(B).

Even if you are trying to fix the problem, you should be sure to ask for a hearing right away. You can always cancel the hearing if you settle your case. 106 C.M.R. § 343.350. For legal help, call the nearest legal services office. See Appendix D: Legal Service Offices.

Advocacy Reminders:

  • Advocates may need a signed release from the client to discuss a client’s case with a DTA worker, supervisor or the Ombuds Office. You can fax the release to the Document Processing Center (DPC), fax 617-887-8765. A worker is authorized to discuss the case with you if you have sent a release to the DPC.
  • An advocate may be able to talk to Recipient Services or the worker or supervisor without a release by setting up a three-way call with the client, DTA and the advocate.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Your Local DTA Office

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm