You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


What other state veteran benefits are available?

Produced by Based on the booklet by Veterans Legal Clinic Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School
Created August 2018


Regardless of income, you can get a $2,000 annuity each year, payable in two installments of $1,000 each on August 1 and February 1 if you are one of the following:

  • A veteran who has blindness, paraplegia, or a double amputation connected to military service; or
  • A veteran who has a 100% VA rating; or
  • A parent of a veteran who died because of a wartime or combat-related injury; or
  • An un-remarried spouse of a veteran who died because of a wartime or combat-related injury

To apply: Submit an application directly to DVS. The deadlines are June 30th for the August payment and December 31st for the February payment of any given year. To get an application, call DVS at 617-210-5480, or you can download the application form online.

Annuity application form for a veteran.

Annuity application form for a parent of a veteran.

Annuity application form for spouse of a veteran.


Massachusetts gives bonuses to some veterans who served during certain periods of war. To get a bonus you must have lived in Massachusetts for 6 months prior to entering service, been discharged under honorable conditions from that period of service, and meet certain other requirements.

Welcome Home Bonus for Post-9/11 Veterans

  • Served on or after September 11, 2001
  • The amount of the bonus depends on whether you served in Iraq or Afghanistan ($1000) or served elsewhere in the U.S. or abroad for six months or more ($500)
  • Depending on the length of your service and number of deployments, you may be eligible for more than one Welcome Home Bonus. These later bonuses are paid at a lower rate
  • Application for Active Duty Servicemembers.
  • Application for Discharged Servicemembers.

Persian Gulf Bonus

  • Served between August 2, 1990 and April 10, 1991 for at least 30 days
  • The amount of the Persian Gulf Bonus depends on whether you served in the Persian Gulf Area and received the Southwest Asia Service Medal ($500); or served elsewhere ($300)
  • Persian Gulf Application.

Vietnam Bonus

  • Served between July 1, 1958, and May 17, 1975
  • The amount of the Vietnam Bonus depends on whether you served in Vietnam ($300) or served elsewhere for at least six months ($200)
  • Vietnam Application.

Korean Bonus

  • Served between June 25, 1950, and January 31, 1955
  • The amount of the Korean Bonus depends on whether you served with one or more days outside the United States ($300); served at least six months in the United States ($200); or served 90 days in the United States ($100)
  • Korean Application.

World War II Bonus

  • Served between September 16, 1940, and July 25, 1947
  • The amount of the World War II Bonus depends on whether you served outside the United States ($300); served more than six months in the United States ($200); or served less than six months in the United States ($100)
  • World War II Application.

Bonuses for Survivors of Veterans

  • If an eligible veteran has died, the spouse and children, mother or father, brother or sister, or other dependents (in that order) may be eligible to receive the veteran’s bonus.
  • The application for a surviving family member.

Burial allowances

If you are low-income and cannot afford funeral expenses, you may be given money to pay for the burial of a veteran or the dependents of a veteran. To apply, you must submit an application to your VSO within 60 days of the date of death.

Moving and Transportation to Medical Appointments

Moving assistance is available for those who:

  • Have significant medical, financial, or social circumstance that can be reduced by relocation
  • Are eligible for VA benefits
  • Have insufficient resources to move on their own
  • Have not received moving assistance previously

To apply, contact your VSO.

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Created September 2019

State Education Benefits

Veterans who

  • live in Massachusetts and
  • are not in default on federal student loans

may be eligible for a free undergraduate education or certificate program at a state college or university.1 Talk to the veterans representative at the college or university to find out more.

National Guard members are also eligible for a waiver of fees and tuition at state universities and colleges. 2

Learn more about other education programs for veterans and their families.

Learn about other State Veterans' benefits in the Citizens Information Service Booklet of Veterans’ Laws and Benefits


1 . M.G.L. ch. 15A, s.19.

2 . Acts of 2005 ch. 130.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm