You are here

Help for Tornado Victims

Produced by Massachusetts Justice Project
Reviewed June 23, 2011


Register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Register even if you are not sure you can get help.


If you have insurance get in touch with your insurance agency before you register with FEMA

  • Call (800) 621-FEMA, or (800) 621-3362;
  • The TTY line number for the hearing impaired is (800) 462-7585 or use 711 Video Relay Service to call 1-621-3362
  • Phones are open between 7 am. and 1 am. daily;
  • Apply online
  • smartphone

Be ready to give your Social Security number, your current mailing address, the address of the damaged property, a brief description of the damages and any insurance information, including the policy number and the name of your agent, and a phone number where you can be reached.

You may have difficulty getting through. Keep trying.

See 3 Steps to FEMA Disaster Assistance.

FEMA has begun to set up Disaster Recovery Centers.

If you live in Springfield and you have not filled out a housing assessment form speak to a housing specialist at

322 Main Street,

New England Farm Workers’ Council, Shelter & Housing Division
225 High Street
Holyoke, MA 01040
413-536-5403 ext. 203

If your housing has been condemned, it is very important that you
protect your rights:

If you live in Springfield, call the City of Springfield Call Center
immediately. Dial 311.

If you live outside of Springfield, contact your local board of health.

For legal help call:

If you are an advocate or attorney looking for more legal information try

The Mayor's office in Springfield has created a local disaster assistance guide  that includes where to call with condemnation questions. has published questions and answers about what the Disaster Declaration means for you if you live or work in Worcester or Hampden county.

Click the blue titles below to get more information about specific topics.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm