Judges use the Child Support Guidelines to figure out how much child support to order.
The Guidelines tell judges:
- to use the parents’ Child Support Guidelines Worksheet. The Worksheet shows the judge:
- the amount of each parent’s income and certain expenses,
- the number of children the order will support,
- the ages of the children the order will support, and
- the amount of child support to order.
- to look at the amount of time children spend with each parent, “parenting time;”
- how to order child support for children between 18 and 23 years old, and
- the reasons a judge can order a different amount of child support from the amount on the Worksheet. This is a “deviation.”
On September 15, 2017, judges will use the newest Child Support Guidelines