You are here

CORI Alerts

Get your license back

Wednesday 6 July, 2016

The law has changed.

If you lost your driver's license because you were convicted of a drug offense that was not "trafficking", now

  • You can get your license back right away.
  • You do not have to pay the $500 reinstatement fee.


The new law only applies to drug convictions. It does not apply to DUI or alcohol offenses.

Produced by Lead Attorney Pauline Quirion, Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS)
Created July 2016

Easier to seal some cases!

Greater Boston Legal Services just made it easier to seal your case if it was dismissed, ended in a nolle prosequi or a not guilty finding! You can file another petition to seal it in court.

Friday, 15 August, 2014

If you show “good cause” to seal your records, a judge can seal cases that ended in:

  • a dismissal,
  • nolle prosequi - if the district attorney dropped the case, or
  • a not guilty finding.

If a judge denied your petition to seal in the past, you can ask to apply the new "good cause" standard to your case. You will have to file another petition in court. But it should be easier to seal your CORI now since you only have to show "good cause."

Soon we will publish:

  • sample forms, and
  • instructions for asking a judge to apply the new standard to sealing your case.

Greater Boston Legal Services' went to court and won. You now have the right to ask a judge to seal some CORI if you can show "good cause" .

Produced by Greater Boston Legal Services
Created March 6, 2013

Get juvenile cases off your CORI!

Wednesday, 6 March, 2013

If your Juvenile Court Youthful Offender case ended so that

  • you went to state prison or the House of Corrections, or 
  • you were on probation after age 21 for this case,

  this juvenile case will be listed on your CORI.

Youth offender cases have a “YO” in the docket number. Greater Boston Legal Services is trying to do something about this problem. 

What to do?

If you do not want these juvenile cases listed on your CORI, call
Greater Boston Legal Services

Produced by Greater Boston Legal Services
Last Updated July 2016
Produced by Lead Attorney, Pauline Quirion, Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS)
Last Updated July 2016

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm