You are here

Full Chapter Utilities

Produced by Jen Bosco
Last Updated May 2017

Consumer Hotline

How to Reach the
Department of Public Utilities

The Department of Public Utilities (DPU) is the state agency responsible for regulating utility companies. In addition to regulating the quality of service, the DPU investigates problems and has procedures to help you resolve problems.

Department of Public Utilities
Consumer Division
1 South Station
Boston, MA 02110

For On-Line DPU Complaint Form go to:

If you are having a problem with your utility company, you need to arm yourself with the right information. In many situations, you will be able to resolve the problem yourself

In other situations, you may be able to get help from the Department of Public Utilities (DPU), the state agency responsible for regulating utility companies.

This chapter will focus primarily on your rights in dealing with the electric, gas, and water companies. Also included is some limited information about dealing with wireline telephone companies, which are regulated by the state Department of Telecommunications and Cable. Note that wireless phone companies’ prices or practices, and some fiber optic land line service, are generally not regulated.

For further in-depth information about the rights of utility consumers in Massachusetts and practical advice on how to address problems,
see National Consumer Law Center’s “Utilities Advocacy for Low-Income Households in Massachusetts” (3rd Ed.)

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Utilities Downloads

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm